Monday, July 2, 2012


And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
Not shaking the grass.
-Ezra Pound

I first read and fell in love with this poem a few years ago in college. The picture that forms in my mind when I read this short poem is the same now as it was then--I glimpse a little mouse running in a field, it's tail quickly disappearing into the tall blades of brown grass. I was so struck by the metaphor that the poem became an instant favorite of mine-- I'm always drawn to sad romantic things like this. In college I imagined myself as that little mouse in the huge field and the poem, the stillness of the grass, felt so true to me. But now, a few years having passed, I find it harder to identify with that solitary mouse. My picture nowadays is so overrun with mice that when I imagine us running through the grass, I daresay we leave it flattened in our wake.

And while there will only be the three of us on this little trip, we will make every effort possible to shake the grass, rattle the roots, and kick up a mighty cloud of dust wherever we go (especially Olive).



3 comments:

  1. Ye three mice. Ye three mice.
    See how you shake!
    We love the lovely preamble.
    We look forward to following your rambles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your grandfather, who can't post here because he's not in any of the groups required:

    My days of life aren't long enough
    And nights sans news are pretty tough
    While granted, I'm no Ezra Pound
    This note is on its merits, sound.
    As life slips like a Facebook post
    By the time you write, I could be toast
    While waiting on a certain blog
    Of Emily, Jef and Olive dog
    So when I ask, will you put to pen
    Your travels over hill and glen?
    Have you not yet been to someplace new?
    Or must we wait till Timbuctu?
    So blog -right now, my dear grand-daughter
    You know you should; you really oughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Em, I'm so happy for you! And a tiny bit jealous because I spent my summers as a kid going to Estes and RMNP... those were all my old stomping grounds, *sigh* I miss the foothills/plains! Anyway, enjoy, and I can't wait to see you at some point!

    ReplyDelete